The Australian Border Force (ABF) is Australia’s frontline border law enforcement agency and customs service, and is an operationally independent body within the Home Affairs portfolio. The Home Affairs portfolio brings together Australia’s federal law enforcement, national and transport security, criminal justice, emergency management, multicultural affairs and immigration and border-related functions, working together to keep Australia safe.
To be a global leader in border law enforcement and trusted partner that helps build a safe, secure and prosperous Australia.
To protect Australia’s border and enable legitimate travel and trade.
The ABF balances the security of our border with facilitation of travel and trade to enhance economic prosperity while adapting to emerging threats.
Our operational focus is on protecting Australia’s borders from the threats posed by illicit trade, illegal immigration and revenue evasion, while maintaining the integrity of the migration system and enabling legitimate travel and trade.
We focus our efforts across the operational themes of:
- Trade Enforcement – advocating Australia’s economic interests through facilitation and maintaining the integrity in trade and goods, as well as the collection of border revenue.
- Migration Systems – promotion of visa and migration compliance and targeting the threats posed to the integrity of Australia’s migration system.
- Border Protection – protecting the border and managing the movement of people and goods across it, contributing to strong national security.
The ABF has offices in every Australian state and territory and in 47 locations around the globe.
Member Since: 1999
- World Customs Organisation (WCO) Standard – Member Overall Achievement 100% 100%
WCO Standard Member Achievement
This the set of international standards to improve coordination among customs administrations around the world as they facilitate trade and ensure the security of their borders.
- HCS 100% 100%
- Koyoto Convention 100% 100%
- Safe FOS 100% 100%
- WTOVA 100% 100%
- Risk Management 100% 100%
- Automation 100% 100%
- Arusha Declaration 100% 100%
- Post Clearance Audit 100% 100%